Do you experience extreme sadness and wonder why it persists longer than it should. As it progresses, you realise, it becomes a part of you without and you begin to identify the pain with the name ‘depression.’
So what is depression? Depression is a mental health disorder. It can persist for weeks, months, and in some cases, even years. Today, there are treatments in response to the growing awareness of mental health. If you can recognize it in the initial stage, you can save yourself from emotional and physical damage.
In this blog, learn how Aromatherapy helps you deal with depression and anxiety and the reasons why many are turning to Aromatherapy to cope with that unusual feeling.
What’s Aromatherapy, and What’s Its Role in Mental Health?
Aromatherapy is the practice of inhaling the scent of essential oils that improve your well-being. It is quite amusing how this therapy works- just Inhale and feel better! But the theory goes like this: the ingredients present in the essential oil stimulate olfactory senses, which in turn sends a message to the nervous system and the limbic system that controls human emotions. Due to essential oil’s connection with emotions, many use Aromatherapy to combat anxiety and depression.
What Are the Essential Oils That Reduce the Symptoms of Depression and Anxiety?
Lately, many are acknowledging the Aromatherapy Massage Benefit. Essential oils are at the core of this therapy. Here are the five essential oils for anxiety mitigation.
1. Lavender Essential Oil: This is one of the well-known essential oils in Aromatherapy. The oil has a calming effect on both mind and body. When you experience bouts of anxiety, mere inhalation of lavender essential oil will lessen the mental pain.
Lavender oil can be found in a variety of products. One of the common approaches to treat stress with Aromatherapy is through shower bombs. One quick shower is enough to feel better and revitalize yourself.
2. Lemongrass essential oil: This oil is sourced from lemongrass herbs, and it has a natural way of relieving anxiety in individuals.
There are multiple ways you can use this essential oil. You can inhale its scent, or use lemongrass containing shower bombs, or apply the oil sparingly on the skin.
3. Rose: Rose has more significance than how it is portrayed in popular culture. Its airy fragrance can bring a sense of joy, uplift mood, and decrease anxiety. You can try a rose foot bath that involves adding a few drops of oil into warm water and taking a relaxing shower in that-this has proven to promote relaxation.
4. Basil: Basil doesn’t just add incredible flavor to your food but to your mind too. It’s a powerful relaxant that’s uplifting, refreshing, and knocks away your anxiety. The oil also has a cooling sensation, and relaxes tight muscles and relieves headaches.
5. Sweet orange: People who are often exposed to orange scent show a lower level of anxiety and exhibit a positive attitude and mood. Therefore, you can accompany your shower with sweet orange essential oil and improve your composure.
How Else Can You Make Aromatherapy as Part of Your Daily Routine?
Here are some other steps you can take to reduce anxiety. If you are wondering how to use essential oil for anxiety, the following steps help you and make aromatherapy part of your life.
- Indulge in a massage with Aromatherapy for anxiety
- Use an essential oil diffuser at your home.
- Light essential-oil based candles.
- Take an aromatic shower bath.
As the famous saying goes, ‘It is okay to feel not okay’ but make sure you don’t live with something that takes away your joy and happiness. On this World Mental Health day, let’s raise mental health awareness, break the stereotype, and make this world a better and healthy place to live.