There is always a change in mood and how you feel. Having such fluctuation is normal but if these overwhelming feelings are persistent and untreated, then they may turn severe. Many times, it lowers energy and interferes with day-to-day activities.
Over the past few years, Complementary and Alternative Medicines (CAM) have grown in popularity. Some common CAM practices include acupuncture, yoga, massage, and aromatherapy.
In this blog, learn how holistic massage helps you deal with depression.
What Is Massage Therapy?
The therapy involves the manipulation of muscles and soft tissues to promote muscle movement and relaxation. Massage calms your mind, improves mood, and eases all physical aches and pains.
These simple tricks are sure to help you deal with depression.
Read ‘5 simple things to do at home when you are stressed and anxious’ to learn better coping mechanisms.
How Can Massage Relieve Depression?
When muscle and connective tissue become rigid, it can restrict movement. When a body receives the massage, there is an increased blood flow and that promotes muscle relaxation.
Though it may not cure depression completely, it surely helps fight against the majority of its symptoms- some of them are back pain, sluggishness, joint pain, muscle ache, fatigue, and insomnia.
Here are some of the best massage therapies in the United States:
- Swedish Massage: It involves smooth and circular kneading action to the muscles.
- Chair Massage: It includes a special chair where you lean forward into the headrest. These massage sessions are brief and do not require any removal of clothes
- Deep Tissue Massage: This massage is used to treat tight muscles. They mainly focus on bones and connective tissues.
- Shiatsu: This massage is similar to acupuncture. Here the pressure is applied to the specific body points.
- Reflexology: In this type of massage, the pressure is applied to certain areas of the feet that correspond with many other body organs.
- Aromatherapy: Massage with scented essential oil reduces stress and boosts energy. Shower bombs are one of the popular aromatherapy.
- Hot Stone Massage: In this method, warm flat stones are placed on the body. These stones apply pressure and relieve muscle tension.
Questioning your state of mind? Look out for these signs. Read ‘The signs of depression: How to treat it?’ to learn more about mental state and health.
What Are the Major Benefits of Massage?
- Relieves Anxiety: During the massage, the parasympathetic response is increased and that decreases the anxiety in individuals.
- Better Sleep Cycle: Massage relieves the overall body and relaxes shoulders and muscles and allows you to sleep without any disturbance.
- Helps Fight Fatigue: Many people who have insomnia experience decreased fatigue and other debilitating effects of diseases, especially after Swedish massage.
- Treats Certain Health Conditions: Massages reduce stress hormones and help to maintain the immune system by allowing it to work optimally.
- Increase in Focus: Lack of concentration is somewhat linked to increased heart rate. To be more attentive, one has to bring down the heart rate. Massage can decrease heart rate and improves your ability to focus.
- Heal Injuries: Massage helps get rid of soft-tissue restriction and increase blood circulation. Besides, it also makes the body less receptive to potential injuries.